Edgware Parish church of St Margaret , Station Road (1717-1867) (Holdings at London Metropolitan Archives)
Edgeware, previously known as Eggesware, is a small town on the road to St Albans, and on the ancient Watling Street, extending from Kingsbury on the south to Elstree on the north and bounded on the east and west by Hendon and Little Stanmore; 8 miles from Hyde Park Corner, and terminus of the Highgate and Edgware branch of the Great Northern Railway. Inns Chandos Arms and the Boot.
The town stretches for more than a mile along the highroad, which widens considerably opposite the church. It consists of a very irregular mixture of houses - shops, mostly small, cottages, and private dwellings - the best in the north end; with two or three inns, now curtailed in extent and style, but evidently some consequence in the old coaching days.
Towards the end of the 12th century the manor of Edgware belonged to Ela, Countess of Salisbury, the wife of William Longspée. In the 14th century it passed by marriage to the Le Stranges; was alienated in 1427, and in 1443 was sold to the newly founded college of All Souls, Oxford, whose property it still is. The church, St John of Jerusalem, is curiously uninteresting. The tower of flint and stone, square, with an octagonal angle turret, and modern battlements, is old but poor; the body of the church, which was rebuilt in 1765, and renewed in 1845, is of brick whitened over; cruciform, the windows modern Perpendicular, the east window of three lights being filled with painted glass. Neither interior or exterior will detain the visitor; both are alike uninteresting.
St Margaret of Antioch
St Anthony of Padua