London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

Finsbury
Acording to one etymology the original name for the area was Fensbury, although another source, Saxons in England by J M Kemble, suggests it is derived from a family called 'Finnes,' 'Fynes,' or 'Fiennes.' There is a Prebend of Finsbury in St Paul's Cathedral, whose property included Bunhill Fields. Finsbury is bounded Islington and Shoreditch to the north, by Shoreditch to the east, the City of London to the south and to the west by Holborn and St Pancras.

St Lukes Parish church of St Lukes,Old Street (1660) 

St Luke's church in Old Street was built in 1732 by George Dancer and it was known as 'Lousy St Luke's' due to the dragon design of the weather vane. Nearby, in City Road, is John Wesley's Chapel which was opened in 1778. The Roman Catholic church of St Joseph's can be found in Bunhill Row.

Churches in Finsbury: All Saints Mission Chapel
Holy Redeemer, Exmouth Market
St Barnabas, King Square
St Catherine's Mission
St Clement, City Road
St John The Baptist, St John's Square
St Mary, Charterhouse
St Matthew, City Road
St Paul, Bunhill Row
St Philip, Granville Square
St Thomas, Charterhouse