Hendon lies to the right of the Uxbridge Road,, seven miles northwest from London, three miles northwest of Hampstead. The inn, Greyhound by the church is a good house. Hendon station on the Midland railway is one mile north by east of the village. On leaving the station turn left and keep along the lane and through Burrows, leaving the pond on the right. The name Handone recorded in the Doomsday Book is derived by Norden, who "lived at Hendon during the greater part of King James's reign," from Highendune, "which signifieth Highwood, of the plenty of wood there growing on the hills." Hendon parish is seven miles long from north to south and from two to four miles wide. At its southern end the little river Brent, which has most of its head-streams in this parish, forms a large lake. Northwards the ground rises into moderate elevations, by Hendon village, Mill Hill and Highwood Hill. The country is exceedingly pleasant, green, abundantly wooded, the trees large and various; undulating, the hills affording very pleasant views, the valleys many pretty field paths and quiet shady lanes with hedges full of hawthorns, wild roses, honeysuckles, and brambles, and bluebells and arums everywhere by the waysides. The village is of some extent, and used to be rural and somewhat picturesque, but it has been so much improved of late years that it hardly differs from any other suburban or railway village. At the Doomsday Survey, and for an uncertain time before, the manor belonged to the Abbey of Westminster. Alienated in the reign of Stephen, it was restored to the abbey in 1312, and continued to be held by it till the Dissolution, when it was transferred to the newly created see of Westminster. Bishop Thirlby surrendered it in 1550 to Edward VI, who the same year "bestowed" it upon Sir Edward Herbert, as a favour at the time of his baptism, whereof King Edward was a witness. It was held by his descendants till 1757, when it was sold by Henry Arthur, Earl of Powis to the celebrated David Garrick.
Hendon church, St Mary, occupies a commanding site on the summit of the hill immediately north of the village. It is however a poor building and not in the best condition. It consists of a nave with aisles and clerestorey, chancel with aisles, and a tower at the west end. The body of the church is covered in plaster; the tower, small and poor, is of stone, uncovered except by ivy, but much weather-worn, and the battlements patched with red brick. The church is perpendicular, the windows mostly modern and poor, and those of the north clerestory have carpenters' frames. The interior is encumbered with deep galleries. The nave arches are borne on octagonal piers, probably of an earlier church. The chancel has been restored and decorated, and the east window filled with painted glass. The front is Norman, large and square, with an arcade of interesting arches on each of the four sides. The churchyard is of exceptional beauty, carefully planted, and well kept. the view from the north side of the old churchyard is very fine, embracing Harrow, Edgware, Stanmore and the Buckingham hills, Elstree, and distant Hertford heights, Highwood and Mill Hill. Something was lost of the beauty of the views, though the panoramic range was extended, when the grove of trees which skirted the brow of the hill was cut down to form a new burial ground.
|Other churches:||Christ Church, Breet Street|