South Mimms Parish church of St Giles (1558)
So called to distinguish it from North Mimms, Hertfordshire, on the St Albans road, fourteen miles from London. Inns: White Hart; Black Horse. South Mimms is a pretty village standing on high ground, 421 feet, about the junction of several roads. Wrotham Park, the seat of the Earl of Strafford, at the south end of the parish, between Hatfield and St Albans roads, immediately beyond the obelisk at Monken Hadley, was build from the designs of Ware, for Admiral Byng, about 1754 - only three or four years after his execution. It has since been the chief seat of the Byng family. The name was given to it from the ancient seat of the family, Wrotham of Kent. The park is of 250 acres, is fairly timbered. There is a public footpath across it from Ganwick Corner. Dyrham Park, a half mile from Wrotham Park, and nearly two miles south-west of South Mimms church, derived its name from the Derham family, its owners in the early part of the 14th century, when by marriage it was transferred to Thomas Frowyk, in whose descendants it continued till the end of the 15th century. It afterwards belonged to the Laceys and Austens; was then sold to the Earl and Countess of Albemarle; in 1773 was sold to Christopher Bethell, and in 1798 to John Trotter, Esq., the founder of the Soho Bazaar. The mansion is large and good; the park is 170 acres, pleasant and well timbered. The entrance gate by the St Albans Road - a tall central arch between Tuscan columns - is the triumphal arch erected in London by General Monk for the entry of Charles II in 1660.
The church, St Giles, is near the north end of the village, close to the White Hart Inn. It is interesting and picturesque building of flint and stone, the south side covered with stucco, and consists of nave and northern aisle, chancel, west tower and porch at south-west. The tower, tall and massive, with buttresses and good angle turret, and partly covered with ivy, is much above average of village church towers, In it is a peal of six bells. The church is Early Perpendicular with flowering tracery, except the north aisle, which is of brick, rebuilt in 1526. The interior is pleasing, but without any marked feature, except that the east end of the north aisle is shut off by a carved oak parclose, and forms the Frowyk Chantry, founded and endowed in 1448 by Thomas Frowyk and his wife Elizabeth. The chancel was newly paved and decorated at the restoration of the church in 1868. Some of the pews are old and well carved. In the windows of the north aisle are some fragments of painted glass of the date and no doubt part of the original decoration of the rebuilt aisle.
Christ Church Barnet
|Churches in South Mimms:||Christ Church, Barnet|