Pinner, situated in the north-west part of the old County of Middlesex, can be traced back to at least 1231 as Pinnora and was formally created in 1766.
It was one of the 10 Hamlets of Harrow Manor. The Parish Church is St John the Baptist, situated at the top of the High Street. A charter was granted in 1336 by Edward lll enabling a fair to be held in the High Street and this is still occurs every year.
The parish was mainly agricultural, although there are extensive chalk mines in the north of the borough. The chalk mines are still accessible from time to time. The Pinner Local History Society holds considerable information on Pinner. In addition there is a very active local organisation, the Pinner Association.
Pinner is well served by both the London Underground system and the main line railway and this led to its growth through the 19th and 20th century.
St John the Baptist Church