London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

 The Ancient Parish of Great Stanmore

Belmont and Great Stanmore are places in the Ancient Parish of Great Stanmore, which was part Gore hundred subdivision of the county of Middlesex. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Great Stanmore now forms part of the London Borough of Harrow.

Surrounding Great Stanmore are the Hertfordshire parishes of Bushey and Aldenham and the Middlesex parishes of Little Stanmore and Harrow on the Hill.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Stanmore, which includes both Great Stanmore and Little Stanmore.

 

St John the Evangelist, Church Road, Great Stanmore

Until 1632 the parish church stood on the corner of Old Church Lane and Wolverton Road. Then, a new church was built at the top of Old Church Lane on the Uxbridge Road. This is now a ruin in the churchyard of the current church.

Records of the parish include baptisms (1599-1965), marriages (1599-1989) and burials (1559-1962) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/014.

St John Great Stanmore 2

 

St John Great Stanmore 1

 

St John Great Stanmore 3