London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of Greenford

Greenford, also called Greenford Magna or Great Greenford, was an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex, where it formed part Elthorne hundred subdivision. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Greenford now forms part of the London Borough of Ealing. Part of Sudbury is also included in the parish of Greenford.

Surrounding Greenford are the Middlesex parishes of Harrow on the Hill (although Wembley took this border after its creation in 1847), Perivale, Ealing, Hanwell, Norwood and Northolt.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Greenford and Perivale combined.


Holy Cross, Ferrymeads Gardens, Greenford                              

A chapel has stood at Greenford since at least 1157 but the current Holy Cross church building probably dates from around 1700. Despite various repairs and restorations over the years, the church was closed in 1951 and was due to be knocked down. However, it was subsequently restored and reopened in 1956. Three mission churches were built in the 1930s due to population increases in the area but despite this, the church was too small and a larger one was constructed about 1940 just to the west of the old church.

Records of the parish include baptisms (1539-1989), marriages (1539-1987) and burials (1539-1976) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/175.


Holy Cross: The Old Church

Holy Cross Church Greenford from SW


Holy Cross Church Greenford from SE 2


Holy Cross: The New Church


Holy Cross Greenford New Church