London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

Southgate - part of the Ancient Parish of Edmonton

The chapelry of Southgate was part of the Ancient Parish of Edmonton. It became a separate parish in 1851 and it contains the districts of Arnos Grove, parts of New Southgate, parts of Palmers Green and Southgate. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Southgate parish is now part of the London Borough of Enfield.

Surrounding Southgate are the Middlesex parishes of Enfield to the north, Edmonton to the east, Wood Green (part of Tottenham Ancient Parish) and Friern Barnet (both Middlesex) to the south and the Hertfordshire parish of East Barnet to the west.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Edmonton, which contains information about people who lived in the chapelry of Southgate.

 

Christ Church, The Green, Southgate

Christ Church was built in 1861 to replace the Weld Chapel, which had been demolished the year before. This church is Grade II* listed and has Pre-Raphaelite windows designed by William Morris’s firm.

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Southgate, including registers of baptisms (1813-1949): banns of marriage (1838-1962); marriages (1838-1957); burials (1813-1939); funerals, confirmations; parish magazines; financial accounts; Parochial Church Council minutes; and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRP/065.

 

Christ Church Southgate 2

 

St Andrew, Chase Side, Southgate

This church conducted baptisms from 1905 although it was not consecrated until 1916. The church itself holds registers of baptisms since 1903 and of confirmations, banns and marriages from 1928 which are available for inspection, by appointment, at any reasonable time. St. Andrew’s archivist will also entertain enquiries which may be answered from the general records. There is a small fee for any research. All requests should be made initially to the Vicar. The church can be contacted via their website: https://www.standrews-southgate.org/

 

St Andrew Southgate 2

 

St John the Evangelist, Palmers Green

This was built as a daughter church of Christ Church, Southgate in 1904.

Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, including registers of baptisms (1904-1957); banns (1971-1987); marriages (1906-1978); confirmations (1939-1968); Parochial Church Council minutes (1977-1990, 1993-2002); photographs (1904-2005); parish magazines (1904-1908, 1932-2006); and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/177.

St Mary the Virgin Mission Church, Tottenham Road

This was built in about 1905 as an iron mission church to St Michael at Bowes, in whose archive these baptisms are.

Records of St Mary the Virgin Mission Church including baptisms (1906-1939) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/070-23.

St Michael at Bowes, Whittington Road, Southgate

This parish was formed from those of Southgate and St Michael, Wood Green in 1874. It ran the mission churches of St Peter, Bounds Green, St Mary the Virgin, Tottenhall and St Michael, Wolves Lane, Tile Kiln Lane. In 1982 the parish joined Wood Green and the church was demolished in 1987.

Records of St Michael-at-Bowes, Southgate 1866-1986, including registers of baptisms (1874-1963); marriages (1874-1973); burials (1889-1905); Churchwardens' financial accounts; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to Sunday schools and church schools; papers of church societies; parish magazines, and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/070.

St Paul, Woodlands Road, New Southgate

This new parish was created in 1873 from that part of Friern Barnet parish which lay east of the Great Northern Railway Line. It has since been united with St Michael’s, Brunswick Park.

Records of the parish of St Paul, New Southgate, including registers of baptism (1873-1961); marriages (1874-1961); Parochial Church Council minutes and accounts of St Paul’s Schools are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/031.

 

 

St Paul

 

Weld Chapel, Southgate

Sir John Weld of Southgate built a small chapel on his estate as the nearest church was some miles away. It was consecrated in 1615 on condition that all worshippers there took communion at All Saints at Easter and that the vicar of Edmonton should consent to baptisms and marriages there. A district chapelry was assigned in 1851 but the chapel was demolished in 1862 and replaced the next year by Christ Church, Southgate. Its Parish Registers are held in the collection of All Saints. You can still see the footprint of the Weld Chapel in the churchyard to the west of Christ Church.

Records of baptisms (1695-1812); marriages (1695-1810) and burials (1695-1812) at the Weld Chapel are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/040/G

New Southgate Baptist Church

 

New Southgate Baptist Church