London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of Paddington

Bayswater, Kensal Green, Kensal Town, Maida Vale, Paddington, Queens Park, West Kilburn and Westbourne Green are all places in the Ancient Parish of Paddington, which formed part of the Holborn division of the Ossulstone hundred of the county of Middlesex. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Paddington is now in the London Borough of Westminster.Paddington is surrounded by the Middlesex parishes of Willesden, St Marylebone and Kensington and the Westminster  parishes of St George Hanover Square and St Margaret & St John (Detached).

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Paddington.

 

St James, Sussex Gardens

The church of St James is the ancient parish church of Paddington and existed as a chapel before 1222. The first parish church was probably dedicated to St Katherine. This was demolished in 1678 to be replaced by the church dedicated to St James. Between 1791 when St James was demolished and 1843 when a new church was constructed, St Mary, Paddington Green, acted as the parish church.

Records of the parish of Saint James, Sussex Gardens, include: baptisms (1665-1950), marriages (1656-1958); burials (1655-1789) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/JS.

 

St James Paddington

 

St James Paddington b

 

St James Paddington a

 

All Saints, Norfolk Square

This parish was formed from part of the parish of St James, Sussex Gardens, its church being consecrated in November 1847. In 1919 the church was closed and the parish was united with that of St Michael and All Angels.

Records of the parish of All Saints, Norfolk Street, including registers of baptisms (1847-1925) and marriages (1848-1919); Vestry meeting minutes and Parochial Schools Committee minute book are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/ALL.

Christ Church, Harrow Road

Christ Church, Harrow Road, was known as the Chapel of the Lock Hospital and Rescue Home and was in the Parish of St Peter’s, Paddington. Records including baptisms (1871-1939) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/PET.

Christ Church, Lancaster Gate

Christ Church was consecrated in 1855. The building was found to be unsafe in 1977 and subsequently demolished. The parish was united with St James, Sussex Gardens.

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Lancaster Gate, including register of baptisms (1855-1976); marriages (1856-1977); photographs; and parish magazines and newsletters are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/CTC.

Emmanuel, Harrow Road

Emmanuel parish was formed out of parts of the parishes of St Peter, Elgin Avenue, Westminster and St Jude, Lancefield Street, Kensal Green. The church was closed in 1990.

Records of the parish of Emmanuel, Harrow Road, including registers of baptisms (1886-1984); banns (1906-1963); marriages (1876-1990); plans of the parish; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; and parish magazines are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/EMM.

Holy Trinity, Bishop’s Bridge Road

Holy Trinity parish was established in 1846. In 1947, it was united with the parish of St Paul, Harrow Road, becoming known as Holy Trinity with St Paul’s, Paddington. The parish church on Bishop’s Bridge Road became unsafe and was demolished in the 1980s. In 1981 Holy Trinity with St Paul’s parish was amalgamated with St James, Sussex Gardens forming the larger parish of St James, Paddington.

Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Bishop’s Bridge Road, Paddington, including registers of baptisms (1846-1968); marriages (1847-1979); parish magazines; press cuttings; and papers relating to the parish schools are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/TRI.

St Andrew & St Philip, Kensal Green

The church of St Andrew and St Philip was consecrated in 1870. The parish was united with that of St Thomas, Kensal Road, in 1951.

Records of the parish of St Andrew and St Philip, Kensal Green, including registers of baptisms (1871-1929) and marriages (1871-1945) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/AND.

St Augustine, Kilburn Park Road

St Augustine’s originated in a temporary iron church erected in 1870, a permanent church being constructed before 1880. The building became the church of the united parish when the parish of St John the Evangelist, Cambridge Gardens, Kilburn was united with St Augustine’s in 1972.

Records of the parish of St Augustine, Kilburn Park Road, comprising registers of baptisms (1870-1938) and marriages (1880-1973) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/AUG.

St John the Evangelist, Cambridge Gardens, Kilburn

These registers are held in with those of St Augustine, Kilburn Park Road, whose parish united with St John in 1972.

Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Kilburn, comprising registers of baptisms (1864-1968) and marriages (1872-1971) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/AUG.

St John the Evangelist, Harrow Road, Kensal Green

This parish was originally a detached portion of Chelsea parish. A separate parish was assigned in 1845 taken from parts of the neighbouring ones. The church was constructed in 1844 and is still open for worship.

Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Harrow Road, including registers of baptisms (1845-1959); banns (1956-1986); marriages (1845-1958); papers relating to parochial charities and the parish school, and parish magazines are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/JNE2.

St John the Evangelist, Hyde Park Crescent

This parish was created from part of the parish of St James, Sussex Gardens. The church was originally known as the Connaught Chapel and was built in 1826.

Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Hyde Park Crescent (formerly Southwick Crescent), including registers of baptisms (1832-1939); marriages (1832-1944); burials (1833-1854); Parochial Church Council minutes; parish magazines; papers relating to parish boundary changes; and papers relating to the parish schools are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/JNE1.

St Jude, Lancefield Street, Kensal Green

St Jude’s was constructed in 1878, its parish being assigned from the parish of St John, Kensal Green. The parish was united with St Luke and St Simon in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

Records of the parish of St Jude, Lancefield Street, including registers of baptisms (1878-1959) and marriages (1879-1952); and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/JUD.

St Luke, Tavistock Road

This parish was assigned in 1868 from part of the parish of St Stephen, Westbourne Park Road, Paddington. In 1947 St Luke’s was re-joined with St Stephen’s and the church, constructed in 1867-68, was later demolished.

Records of the parish of Saint Luke, Tavistock Road, Westbourne Park, comprising registers of baptisms (1863-19478); banns (1890-1910 and 1926-1947); marriages (1868-1947) and confirmations are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/LUK2.

St Luke the Evangelist, Fernhead Road, West Kilburn

The church of St Luke the Evangelist was constructed in 1876-77 and a parish was then assigned. The church was bombed in 1940 but kept its own records while the congregation was temporarily accommodated at St Simon, Saltram Crescent. A new church was built in the late 1950s. In 1952 the parishes of St Luke, St Simon and St Jude were united. In 1959, St Simon’s was redesignated as the parish church of St Luke the Evangelist with St Simon and St Jude.

Records of the parish of St Luke the Evangelist, Fernhead Road, including registers of baptisms (1877-1975); banns (1962-1966); marriages (1878-1959); Parochial Church Council minute books; papers relating to St Luke’s National School; and a parish magazine for 1914 are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/LUK1.

St Mary, Paddington Green

St James, the parish church, was demolished in 1791 and its place taken by St Mary’s, which had just been built. In 1845 it was superseded by the newly constructed and larger church of St James, Sussex Gardens. Most of the older parish records were transferred in 1845 from St Mary’s to St James. St Mary’s became a district chapelry.

Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Paddington Green, include: baptisms (1845-1955); marriages (1845-1937 and burials (1790-1896) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/MRY.

 

St Mary Paddington Green

 

St Mary Magdalene, Woodchester Street

The parish of St Mary Magdalene was created from St Saviour and Holy Trinity, services first being held in 1865 in a small temporary building by the Grand Junction Canal until the church was constructed. The road it stands on is now called Rowington Close. The St Mary Magdalene Convalescent Home for fallen women opened in 1865 at 30 Weymouth Street, later moving to 26 Ranelagh Road, Paddington.

Records of the parish of St Mary Magdalene, Woodchester Street, including registers of baptisms (1865-1933); banns (1924-1947; marriages (1870-1943); confirmations; and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/MMG.

Further records, including marriage fees are currently uncatalogued.

St Matthew, St Petersburg Place, Bayswater

Bayswater Chapel was constructed in 1818, being renamed St Matthew’s in 1858. The church is still open to worship.

Records of the parish of St Matthew, St Petersburgh Place, including baptism registers (1858-1966); marriage registers (1858-2007); banns (1908-2007); confirmation registers; and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/MTW.

St Michael & All Angels, Star Street

This parish was established in 1864, taken from part of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Hyde Park Crescent. The church was closed on the union of the parish with All Saints, Norfolk Square and St John the Evangelist in 1965 and was demolished in 1969.

Records of the parish of St Michael and All Angels, Star Street, including registers of baptisms (1861-1961) and marriages (1864-1963); and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/MAA.

Baptisms from 1953-1954 include some from St Mary’s Hospital.

St Paul, Harrow Road

St Paul’s originated as a chapel of ease to the parish of Holy Trinity, from which St Paul’s parish was later formed. St Paul’s church was bombed in 1940 (thereafter marriages took place at Holy Trinity) and demolished in 1953. The parish was then reunited with Holy Trinity.

Records of the parish of St Paul, Harrow Road, including registers of baptisms (1870-1944) and marriages (1874-1944) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/PAU.

St Peter, Elgin Avenue

St Peter’s originated in a temporary mission church established in 1866 as a chapel of ease to the parish of Holy Trinity. A permanent building was constructed in 1870 and a parish was created, taken from Holy Trinity. The church was replaced by a modern building in the 1970s.

Records of the parish of St Peter, Elgin Avenue, including registers of baptisms (1866-1970), banns (1957-1976) and marriages (1871-1958) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/PET. Baptisms of inmates at Paddington Workhouse (1875-1899 and another file 1880-1902) and those which took place at St Mary’s Hospital dating from 1933-1980 also appear in this archive.

St Saviour, Warwick Avenue

The church of St Saviour was constructed in 1855-56. A parish was assigned from part of the parish of St James, Sussex Gardens. The church was replaced by a smaller, modern building in 1976.

Records of the parish of St Saviour, Warwick Avenue, including registers of baptisms (1856-1951); banns (1969-2000); marriages (1856-1963); confirmations; and papers relating to St Saviour's School are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/SAV.

St Simon, Saltram Crescent

St Simon’s was constructed in 1898-99, the parish being taken from those of St John the Evangelist and St Jude, The parishes of St Simon, St Luke and St Jude were united in 1952 with St Luke’s becoming the parish church, redesignated as St Luke the Evangelist with St Simon and St Jude. St Simon’s was closed for worship and turned into housing as Simon Court.

Records of the parish of St Simon, Saltram Crescent, including registers of baptisms (1899-1959); marriages (1899-1952); confirmations; and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/SIM.

St Stephen, Westbourne Park Road

St Stephen’s church was consecrated in April 1856. In 1947 St Stephen’s parish was joined with St Luke, Tavistock Road. Despite the building being closed as unsafe in 1991, it has now been refurbished and is open once more.

Records of the parish of St Stephen, Westbourne Park Road, including registers of baptisms (1856-1956); banns (1902-1970); marriages (1865-2002); confirmations; are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/STE.

Further records, including Parochial Church Council minutes are currently uncatalogued.

St Thomas, Kensal Road, North Kensington

Built originally in 1889, this church was badly damaged in the Second World War and was rebuilt to a modern design in 1967. It is still open.

Records of the parish of St Thomas, include registers of baptisms (1889-1954); banns (1890-1963); marriages (1890-1981); and parish magazines and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P84/TMS.

St Thomas, Newton Terrace, Westbourne Grove

St Thomas was given a district in the parish of St Stephen, Westbourne Park Road but only the first 37 entries in the register were used. These are baptisms dating from 1885-1894 and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P87/STE/A/01/004.