London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

Wood Green - part of the Ancient Parish of Tottenham

The parish of Wood Green contains the districts of Alexandra Palace, Bounds Green and Noel Park. It was part of the Ancient Parish of Tottenham until it became a separate parish in 1866. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Wood Green parish is now part of the London Borough of Haringey. Surrounding Wood Green are the Middlesex parishes of Edmonton to the north, Tottenham to the east, Hornsey to the south and Friern Barnet to the west.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Tottenham, which contains information about people who lived in the parish of Wood Green.

 

Good Shepherd Mission Church, Berwick Rd, Wood Green

This church was founded in 1916 by the church of St Michael, Wood Green. Records include baptisms (1940-1963) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/146.

St Cuthbert, Wolves Lane, Wood Green

Baptisms took place from 1902 but registers have not been deposited at LMA.

St Gabriel, Bounds Green

This church was originally the mission church of St Peter, established in 1883, but in 1906 it became St Gabriel when a chapelry was formed out of St Michael, Wood Green, St Michael-at-Bowes, and St Paul, New Southgate. Records include baptisms (1906-1998) and marriages (1906-1981) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/071.

St John’s Mission Church, Brook Road, Wood Green

This church was formed in 1898 by St Michael, Wood Green. The collection at LMA (Ref: DRO/147) does not include any registers.

St Mark, Lymington Ave, Noel Park, Wood Green

This church was consecrated to serve the newly-built Noel Park Estate in 1889. Records include baptisms (1885-1950) and marriages (1890-1958) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/063.

St Michael, Bounds Green Road, Wood Green

This church was consecrated in 1844 but the building had to be reconstructed in 1865 due to subsidence. It became a chapelry in 1866 and later ran 2 mission churches: St John, Brook Road in 1898 and the Good Shepherd, Berwick Road in 1916. Records include baptisms (1866-1987) and marriages (1866-1983) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/069.

 

St Michael Woodgreen 2