London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

Twyford Abbey or West Twyford - part of the Ancient Parish of Willesden

Twyford Abbey, also known as West Twyford, was a tiny chapelry belonging to Willesden Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex, where it formed part of the Kensington division of the Ossulstone hundred subdivision of the county. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Twyford Abbey now forms part of the London Borough of Ealing. Surrounding Twyford Abbey are the Middlesex parishes of Wembley, Willesden, Acton and a detached part of Hanwell.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Willesden which includes Twyford Abbey.


St Mary, West Twyford

This church was one of the smallest in Middlesex in the 16th century, with seating for around 40 people. The church was rebuilt in 1958 with the old chapel being retained as a Lady Chapel. Records of the parish include baptisms (1722-1994), marriages (1722-1988), burials (1849-1988) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/098.


Twyford St Mary 780x585