London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of Edmonton

Arnos Grove, Edmonton, Lower Edmonton, New Southgate, Palmer’s Green, Southgate, Upper Edmonton and Winchmore Hill are all places in the Ancient Parish of Edmonton. The chapelry of Southgate was part of the Ancient Parish of Edmonton. It became a separate parish in 1851 and it contains the districts of Arnos Grove, parts of New Southgate, parts of Palmers Green and Southgate. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Edmonton parish is now part of the London Borough of Enfield. Edmonton was also the name of one of the hundreds (subdivisions) of the county of Middlesex.

Surrounding Edmonton are the Middlesex parish of Enfield to the north, the Essex parish of Chingford to the east, Tottenham and Friern Barnet (both Middlesex) to the south and the Hertfordshire parish of East Barnet to the west.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Edmonton

 

All Saints Church, Church Street, Edmonton

This church is mentioned in 1136 when it was granted to Walden Abbey in Essex; after 1538 it was granted to St Paul’s Cathedral. As the population of the parish grew, various daughter and mission churches were established which often grew into separate parishes: St Mary in 1883, St Peter in 1898, St Michael in 1901, St Aldhelm in 1903, St Stephen in 1907, St Martin in 1911 and St Alphege in 1954, some of whose registers are included in the All Saints’ archive.

Records of the parish of All Saints, Edmonton, including registers of baptisms (1558-2001); banns of marriage (1754-2002); marriages (1558-1993); burials (1558-1954); Surveyors of Highways rate books and parish magazine, are at London Metropolitan Archives. Ref: DRO/040.

All Saints Edmonton

 

All Saints Edmonton East side

 

Holy Trinity, Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill

This started in 1903 as a mission church of St Paul, Winchmore Hill and gained its own parish in 1913.

Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Winchmore Hill, including registers of baptisms (1908-1991); banns of marriage (1913-1992); marriages (1908-1991); confirmations; Parochial Church Council and Vestry meetings minutes; and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/044.

 

St Aldhelm, Silver Street, Upper Edmonton

A tin tabernacle to cater for local people was built in 1895 with a permanent church following in 1903. The parish was taken from those of All Saints and St James.

Records of the parish of St Aldhelm including registers of baptisms (1903-2010); banns of marriage (1930-1992); marriages (1903-2003) and more are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/204.

St Aldhelm Silver Street Upper Edmonton

 

St Alphege, Hertford Road, Lower Edmonton

A mission church of All Saints was started here in 1897 with an iron chapel being built in 1903. The current Grade II listed church was built in a modern Swedish Gothic style by Sir Edward Maufe in 1959. Baptism registers (1901-1925) are held in the collection of All Saints at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/040/J/

 

St James, Fore Street, Upper Edmonton

A church was built here in 1850 with a parish assigned the next year. At first the church was dedicated to St Pancras. The church closed in 1981 and the building has now been converted into flats.

Records of the parish of Saint James, Fore Street, comprising registers of baptisms (1851-1981); banns (1952-1955) and marriages (1851-1978) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/075 and ACC/3218.

 

St John the Evangelist, Dysons Road, Upper Edmonton

The foundation stone of this church was laid in 1905. In 1954 the parish merged with St Mary the Virgin, Lower Edmonton and is now St Mary with St John.

Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Dysons Road, including registers of baptisms (1901-1957) and marriages (1906-1972) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/166.

 

St Martin, Town Road

Following ten years of worship in an iron building, this church was opened in 1911, its parish taken from those of All Saints and St Mary. In 1977 its parish was united with St Peter, Bounces Road. The building is now used by the Greek Orthodox Church and is known as St Demetrios.

Records of St Martin, Town Road, including registers of baptisms (1909-1977); banns (1911-1977) and marriages (1911-1976) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/062.

 

St Michael Bassishaw, Bury Street, Edmonton

This church was built with the proceeds from the sale of St Michael Bassishaw in London and opened in 1901. The church was made redundant in 1982 and has now been converted into flats.

Records of St Michael Bassishaw, Bury Street, including registers of baptisms (1905-1975); banns (1955-1982); and marriages (1903-1962) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/203.

 

St Paul, Church Hill, Winchmore Hill

This church was built as a chapel of ease to All Saints in 1828. Baptisms from 1834-1842 are in the collection of All Saints at LMA, Ref: DRO/040/H/01/001; Banns (1852-1949) and marriages (1838-1951) are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/163.

 

St Peter, Bounces Road, Lower Edmonton

An iron mission church was built in 1888. A parish was assigned ten years later, taken from that of All Saints. It was joined with St Martin, Edmonton in 1978.

Records of St Peter, Bounces Road, including baptisms (1897-1960); banns (1898-2006) and marriages (1898-1974) are at London Metropolitan Archives, DRO/061.

 

St Peter’s Mission Church, Bounds Green

This was established as a mission church to St Michael at Bowes, in whose archive these registers are held. These comprise baptisms (1888-1906) and they are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/070-21.

 

St Stephen, Park Avenue, Bush Hill Park

This started as a mission held in an iron church in 1901 with a stone church following in 1906 to serve the expanding population of Bush Hill Park on the Enfield border. Registers are not at LMA.

 

St Thomas, Oakwood

An iron chapel opened on Winchmore Hill Road in 1904 as a chapel of ease to St Paul, Winchmore Hill. The following stone church was built in 1939 at the junction of Prince George and Sheringham Avenues, Enfield. The incumbent is believed to hold the baptism register, which started in 1939.

St Thomas, Oakwood