London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of St Pancras

Agar Town, Bedford New Town, Brookfield, Camden, Chalk Farm, Dartmouth Park, Euston, Fitzrovia, Gospel Oak, part of Haverstock Hill, part of Highgate, Kentish Town, Kings Cross, Primrose Hill, Regent’s Park and Somers Town are all places in the Ancient Parish of St Pancras, which formed part of the Holborn division of the Ossulstone hundred subdivision of the county of Middlesex. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. St Pancras now forms part of the London Borough of Camden. The parish of St Pancras originally stretched from just north of Oxford Street almost to Highgate and from what is now Regent’s Park to York Way.

Surrounding it, in a clockwise direction starting from the north, are the Middlesex parishes of Hornsey, Islington, Clerkenwell, Holborn, St George the Martyr, St George Bloomsbury, St Giles in the Fields, St Marylebone and Hampstead.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to St Pancras.

 

St Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road

St Pancras was a parish before the Norman Conquest of 1066. The old church was erected around 1180 and its burial ground has been a place of Christian burial for over 700 years. In 1822 the Old Church was reduced to a parish chapel when a new parish church was built in Euston Road. In 1863 the Old Church got a new separate parish. So records dated 1660-1822 in P90/PAN1 relate to when the Old Church was the main parish church of the ancient parish of St Pancras. Records dated 1863 onwards refer to the new, smaller and separate parish assigned to this church after that date.

Records include baptisms (1848-1973), marriages (1859-1973) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/PAN2

 

Use St Pancras Old Church side gerry

 

Use St Pancras Old Church interior gerry (2)

 

St.PancrasOldChurch 009alan

 

St Pancras Old Church 2

 

St Pancras New Church, Euston Road

In 1822 this church was built as a new parish church, with the old one becoming a parish chapel. St Pancras was a parish before the Norman Conquest of 1066. The old church was erected around 1180 and its burial ground has been a place of Christian burial for over 700 years. In 1822 the Old Church was reduced to a parish chapel when a new parish church was built in Euston Road. In 1863 the Old Church got a new separate parish. So records dated 1660-1822 in P90/PAN1 relate to when the Old Church was the main parish church of the ancient parish of St Pancras. Records dated 1863 onwards refer to the new, smaller and separate parish assigned to this church after that date

Records include baptisms (1660-1936), marriages (1660-1950), burials (1689-1920) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/PAN2

 

St Pancras New Church 2

 

St Pancras New Church interior

 

All Hallows, Gospel Park Road

This church was built in the 1880s as the Church of the Good Shepherd, with a vicarage and church hall added opposite in Courthope Road. It later received funding from the sale of the site of All Hallows the Great, Thames Street, London, which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. The foundation stone of the new church was laid by Mary, Duchess of Teck, in 1892. All Hallows acquired its own parish in 1901. Registers for baptisms (from 1894) and marriages (from 1901) are believed to be still with the incumbent as they have not been deposited at LMA.

All Saints, Camden Street, Camden Town

This was the original place of worship in Camden Town and was built in 1824 as Camden Chapel. Later it was known as St Stephen’s and from about 1920, All Saints. It has served the Greek Orthodox community since 1948.

Records include baptisms (1824-1947) and marriages (1858-1947) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/ALL1

All Saints, Gordon Street, St Pancras

All Saints Church, Gordon Street, was constructed in 1842 in response to rapid population growth in the ancient parish of Saint Pancras. In 1909 the church was closed and in 1928 University College London converted it into a hall, which was subsequently destroyed by bombing in 1940.

Records include baptisms (1843-1909) and marriages (1845-1909) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/ALL2.

Christ Church, Albany Street, Camden

Christ Church was built to serve the large working-class population who lived near Cumberland Market and was consecrated in 1837. It was closed in 1989, with the parish being united with that of St Mary Magdalene, Munster Square. The church building is now used by a branch of the Antiochian Orthodox Church and is known as St George’s Cathedral.

Records include baptisms (1837-1969) and marriages (1846-1960) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/CTC2.

Christ Church, Charlton Street, Somers Town

In 1865 when St Pancras Station was constructed, the church of St Luke, Euston Road had to be demolished. Christ Church was built in 1868 as a replacement. The church was bombed in 1940 (when it is thought the marriage register for 1923-40 was destroyed) and in 1954 the parish was united with St Pancras, Euston Road.

Records include baptisms (1868-1940) and marriages (1868-1922 and 1941-1948) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/CTC1.

Fitzroy Chapel

This secular chapel, which was restored in 2015, was originally part of the Middlesex Hospital. See St Saviour, Maple Street, Fitzrovia.

Good Shepherd Mission Church, Mansfield Road

This iron church was in use from 1886 whilst the nearby All Hallows was being constructed. Baptisms took place from 1886-1894 but have not been deposited at LMA.

Holy Cross, Cromer Street

Baptisms took place from 1877 and marriages from 1888. These registers have not been deposited at LMA.

Holy Trinity, Clarence Way, Haverstock Hill                             

Holy Trinity was built in 1850. Records include baptisms (1849-1956) and marriages (1823-1958) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/TRI.

 

Holy Trinity Haverstock Hill St Pancras

 

Kentish Town Chapel

See St John the Baptist, Highgate Road, Kentish Town

Percy Chapel, Charlotte Street, Camden                                     

The Percy Chapel was built in 1765 and demolished in 1867. Records include baptisms (1776-1808) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/PRC.

St Andrew, Haverstock Hill

St Andrew parish was formed in 1865 from the districts of Holy Trinity and St John the Baptist, Kentish Town. It was badly damaged in the Blitz and closed in 1953 on the union of the benefice with St Martin, Kentish Town. The church was demolished in 1955.

Records include baptisms (1866-1953) and marriages (1866-1953) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/AND.

St Anne, Highgate Rise, Brookfield

This church was erected on West Hill, Highgate, on the site of the former Cow and Hare inn, by Miss Anne Barnett in memory of her brother, Richard, and dedicated in 1853. Records of baptisms and marriages are not at LMA.

St Barnabas, Prince of Wales Road, Kentish Town

The parish of St Barnabas was created in 1880. In 1957 the parish was united with Holy Trinity, Haverstock Hill, which became the new parish church. St Barnabas was closed and transferred to the Greek Orthodox Church.

Records include baptisms (1882-1956) and marriages (1885-1955) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/BAN.

St Bartholomew, Gray’s Inn Road, St Pancras

Built in 1811, St Bartholomew was consecrated as a district church in 1860. In April 1959 the parish was united with the parish of St George the Martyr with Holy Trinity, Queen Square, Holborn (LMA Ref: P82/GEO2). Records include baptisms (1860-1958) and marriages (1860-1959) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/BAT.

St Benet and All Saints, Lupton Street, Kentish Town

The registers for baptisms (from 1881) and marriages (from 1885) have not been deposited at LMA.

St James, Hampstead Road, Camden

St James’ Chapel was consecrated in 1791 to serve the adjoining burial ground of Saint James’, Piccadilly, acting as a proprietary chapel. In 1852 the graveyard was closed and the burial ground was sold in 1871 to the St Pancras Church Trustees, to become the parish church of the new ecclesiastical district of St James. It was demolished in 1964 and the parish was united with St Pancras.

Records include baptisms (1851-1953) and marriages (1872-1953) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/JS. This archive includes some baptisms at the nearby Temperance Hospital.

St John the Baptist, Highgate Road, Kentish Town

This church originated in the Kentish Town Chapel, an ancient chapel-of-ease to St Pancras, which moved to this Highgate Road site in 1784. The church was assigned a separate parish in 1868 and was rededicated to St John the Baptist. Declared redundant in 1993, it is now used by the Christ Apostolic Church. Records include baptisms (1804-1961), marriages (1859-1990) and burials (1822-1854) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/JNB. This archive includes baptisms and burials at Kentish Town Chapel.

St John the Evangelist, Charlotte Street, Camden

The church was designed by Hugh Smith, in 1846. The parish was united with St Saviour’s, London Street in 1913. It was badly damaged by a flying bomb in 1945. Later still, it was united with All Souls, Langham Place, St Marylebone. Records include baptisms (1846-1945) and marriages (1858-1945) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/JNE1.

The baptisms include some which took place in the Infirmary, Cleveland Street, dated 1880-1901.

St Jude, Gray’s Inn Road, Camden

Consecration took place in 1863. The last marriage register was closed in June 1936 on the union of the parish with Holy Cross, Cromer Street. The church was demolished and many of its memorials were moved to Holy Cross. Records include baptisms (1863-1935) and marriages (1863-1935) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/JUD.

St Luke, Euston Road

When St Pancras Station was built, it necessitated the destruction of St Luke’s church. St Luke’s registers are included in the archive of Christ Church in Somers Town which, at that time, was the nearest church where local people could go to worship, be baptised and married.

Records include baptisms (1850-1868) and marriages (1861-1868) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/CTC1. 

St Luke, Oseney Crescent, Kentish Town

This church was built using money paid by the Midland Railway Company as compensation for the church of St Luke, Euston Road which had earlier been compulsorily purchased as part of the site of the new St Pancras Station. It was consecrated in 1869. In 1955, St Luke’s parish was united with St Paul, Camden Square, with St Paul being retained as a chapel of ease; records of the united parish from 1955 are listed with this series. In April 1987, the united parish was dissolved and the separate parishes recreated. Records include baptisms (1869-1959) and marriages (1870-1993) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/LUK. The baptisms include those at St Margaret’s Home and East End Hostel, Camden Road, which was a home for unmarried mothers, dated 1946-1966.

St Mark, Albert Road, Regents Park

This church was consecrated in 1853, destroyed by enemy bombing in 1940 and rebuilt and reconsecrated in 1957. No registers have been deposited at London Metropolitan Archives.

 

 St MarksChurch  RegentsPark

 

St Martin, Vicars Road, Gospel Oak

St Martin’s Church was consecrated in 1865. In 1953 this church was united with St Andrew, Haverstock Hill. Records include baptisms (1865-1970) and marriages (1865-1972) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/MTN.

St Mary, Dartmouth Park Road, Brookfield

Any records are likely to still be with the incumbent. These should include baptisms from 1875 and marriages from 1878.

 

 St Mary Brookfield Dartmouth Park

 

St Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, St Pancras

Consecrated in 1852, and with baptism and marriage registers commencing then, this church served a small but densely populated area formerly belonging to the parish of Christ Church, Albany Street. The two parishes were once again united with the closure of Christ Church in 1989.

Records include baptisms (1852-1947) and marriages (1852-1986) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/MMG.

St Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, Somers Town

First known as the Somers Town Chapel, St Mary the Virgin was built between 1822 and 1826 as a chapel-of-ease to St Pancras. It was also known as Mr Judkin’s Chapel (after a previous incumbent) and Seymour Street Chapel (the former name for this part of Eversholt Street). Charles Dickens apparently worshipped here when he was a boy.

Records include baptisms (1826-1986) and marriages (1869-1968) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/MRY1.

St Matthew, Oakley Square, Bedford New Town

St Matthew, Bedford New Town was formed out of the parish of St Pancras in the mid-1840s to serve the ever-increasing population of the area. The church was consecrated in 1856. In 1956 the parish was united with the Old St Pancras church; and the building was later demolished.

Records include baptisms (1857-1975) and marriages (1859-1974) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/MTW.

St Michael, Camden Road, Camden Town

St Michael’s first service was held in 1877 at 5a Camden Road (now a betting shop) with a church building being started in 1881. In 1954 the parish of St Michaels subsumed those of All Saints, Camden Town (which had become a Greek Orthodox church in 1948) and St Thomas, Wrotham Road, Agar Town (whose 1864 building was demolished due to war damage). In 2003, St Michael’s, St Pancras Old Church, St Mary’s Somers Town and St Paul’s Camden Square came together to form one united Parish of Old St Pancras.

Records include baptisms (1877-1948) and marriages (1882-1957) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/MIC2.

St Michael, South Grove, Highgate

There was a hermit’s chapel at Highgate in 1565 assigned to Sir Roger Cholmeley’s Free Grammar School, which by 1637 was being used as a parish church by Highgate inhabitants. In 1832 the chapel closed and St Michael’s Church was consecrated on a new site, its parish being created in 1834.

Records include baptisms (1634-1952), marriages (1653-1949) and burials (1633-1903) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/MIC1.

St Paul, Camden Square, St Pancras

St Paul’s was built in the 1840s but owing to bomb damage sustained during World War II it was demolished in 1949, with the exception of the tower, spire and parish hall. In 1955, St Paul parish was united with St Luke, Oseney Crescent, with St Paul being retained as a chapel of ease. Records of the united parish are listed with St Luke, see page 51. A hall was built in the 1970s to act as both church and parish hall and in 1987, the united parish was dissolved and the separate parishes recreated.

Records include baptisms (1849-1949) and marriages (1858-1955) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/PAU.

St Peter, Regent Square, Camden

St Peter’s originated as Regent Square Chapel, founded in 1826, with a separate parish being established in 1868. The church was badly damaged during World War II. In 1954 the parish was united with Holy Cross, Gray’s Inn Road. Records include baptisms (1829-1943) and marriages (1858-1941) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/PET.

St Saviour, Maple Street, Fitzrovia

Originally known as Fitzroy Chapel, this church was built between 1777 and 1788. In 1863 a parish was assigned and the chapel was dedicated to St Saviour. The parish was later united with the parish of St John the Evangelist. The building was destroyed during World War II.

Records include baptisms (1786-1913) and marriages (1865-1913) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/SAV.

St Silas the Martyr, Prince of Wales Road, Kentish Town

The London Diocesan Home Mission started work in the impoverished area of Kentish Town in 1877 and a church was subsequently built and a parish assigned in 1912. Baptisms date from 1880 and marriages from 1913 but registers have not been deposited at LMA.

 

St Silas the Martyr St Pancras 

 

St Stephen, Rosslyn Hill, Camden

St Stephen was consecrated in 1870 and closed for worship in 1977. The church, which is Grade I listed, remained empty until 2002 when it was deconsecrated. It has now been restored and can be hired as a space for social events. Records include baptisms (1870-1977) and marriages (1870-1977) and are at London Metropolitan Archives but are currently uncatalogued. They can be inspected at LMA if you request an appointment to do so, at:      This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

St Thomas, Wrotham Road, Agar Town

St Thomas, sited in Wrotham Road, was built in 1863. It was damaged by bombing in World War II and has now been demolished. The parish was united with that of St Michael, Camden Road in 1948.

Records include baptisms (1863-1948) and marriages (1863-1947) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: P90/TMS.