London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of Tottenham

Alexandra Palace, Bounds Green, Bowes Park, Bruce Castle, Bruce Grove, Noel Park, St Ann’s, Seven Sisters, South Tottenham, Tottenham, West Green and Wood Green are all places in the Ancient Parish of Tottenham, which formed part of the Edmonton hundred subdivision of the county of Middlesex. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s, followed by Urban District Councils in 1894 and then London Boroughs in 1965. Tottenham now forms part of the London Borough of Haringey. Surrounding it are the Middlesex parishes of Hackney, Stoke Newington, Hornsey, Friern Barnet and Edmonton and the Essex parish of Walthamstow.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to Tottenham.

 

All Hallows, Church Lane, Tottenham

This church was built in the 15th century but has been altered and extended many times over the years. Records include baptisms (1557-1948), marriages (1557-1946) and burials (1557-1901) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/015.

AllHallows, Tottenham

 

all hall b  

 

Christ Church, West Green, Haringey

Services started to be held in a local school in 1882 and a church was constructed to house this congregation in 1888. Records include baptisms (1889-1955) and marriages (1889-1969) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/030.

Good Shepherd Mission Church, Berwick Rd, Wood Green

This church was founded in 1916 by the church of St Michael, Wood Green. Records include baptisms (1940-1963) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/146.

Holy Trinity, Philip Lane, Tottenham

Consecrated as a chapel in 1830, a parish was assigned from that of All Hallows in 1844. Holy Trinity later had 2 daughter parishes: St Ann, Hanger Lane was formed in 1861 and St Peter, Page Green in 1900 (this latter was reunited with Holy Trinity in 1973). Parts of Holy Trinity parish also went to form St Mary the Virgin, Tottenham and Christ Church, West Green in 1888. In 1980 part of the parish of St Bartholomew, Stamford Hill was transferred to Holy Trinity. Records include baptisms (1845-1970) and marriages (1845-1967) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/066. Baptisms solemnised at the Prince of Wales Hospital from 1942-1968 are included here.

 

Holy Trinity Tottenham Green

 

St Andrew, Blackboy Lane, Tottenham

A hall was built in Blackboy Lane which was dedicated as a church in 1908 and used until it burned down in 1970. No records have been deposited at LMA.

St Andrew’s Mission Church, West Green

This mission church was formed by St Ann, Stamford Hill. Records include baptisms (1910-1936) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/036/053.

St Benet Fink, Walpole Road, Tottenham

Although this church was built in 1911, its origins lie with the St Benet Fink which was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Records include baptisms (1912-1955) and marriages (1913-1982) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/197.

St Cuthbert, Wolves Lane, Wood Green

Baptisms took place from 1902 but registers have not been deposited at LMA.

St Gabriel, Bounds Green

This church was originally the mission church of St Peter, established in 1883, but in 1906 it became St Gabriel when a chapelry was formed out of St Michael, Wood Green, St Michael-at-Bowes, and St Paul, New Southgate. Records include baptisms (1906-1998) and marriages (1906-1981) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/071.

St John the Baptist. Great Cambridge Road, Tottenham

Baptisms took place from 1926 but registers have not been deposited at LMA.

St John’s Mission Church, Brook Road, Wood Green

This church was formed in 1898 by St Michael, Wood Green. The collection at LMA (Ref: DRO/147) does not include any registers.

St Mark, Lymington Ave, Noel Park, Wood Green

This church was consecrated to serve the newly-built Noel Park Estate in 1889. Records include baptisms (1885-1950) and marriages (1890-1958) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/063.

St Mary the Virgin, Lansdowne Road, Tottenham Hale

This was established as a Mission District within the parish of Tottenham in 1884 with support from Marlborough Cottage in Wiltshire to cater for new residents in the area.

Records include baptisms (1882-1980) and marriages (1888-1990) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/184.

St Michael, Bounds Green Road, Wood Green

This church was consecrated in 1844 but the building had to be reconstructed in 1865 due to subsidence. It became a chapelry in 1866 and later ran 2 mission churches: St John, Brook Road in 1898 and the Good Shepherd, Berwick Road in 1916. Records include baptisms (1866-1987) and marriages (1866-1983) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/069.

St Paul the Apostle, Park Lane, Tottenham

The church was begun in 1858 and baptisms took place from 1859. The building was demolished in 1973 and a new one dedicated in 1976. Registers have not been deposited at LMA.

St Peter, Broad Lane, Page Green, South Tottenham

This church started as a mission hall built to serve the local poor by the Draper’s Company in 1883. A permanent church was consecrated in 1893 and a parish assigned out of that of Holy Trinity. The parish was reunited with Holy Trinity in 1973 and St Peter’s church declared redundant.

Records include baptisms (1883-1969, with gaps) and marriages (1956-1969) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/067.

St Philip the Apostle, Philip Lane, Tottenham

The London Diocesan Home Mission established an iron church here in 1899 and a permanent church was subsequently built in 1906. The parish was assigned from those of Holy Trinity and Christ Church.

Records include baptisms (1898-1979) and marriages (1907-1974) and are at London Metropolitan Archives, Ref: DRO/081.

 

St Philip the Apostle Philip Lane Tottenham