London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of St Clement Danes

St Clement Danes was an Ancient Parish part of which was in the Liberty of Westminster and part in the Liberty of the Duchy of Lancaster. The City and Liberty of Westminster was succeeded as an administrative body by the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster in 1900 and then by the London Borough of Westminster in 1965.

Surrounding St Clement Danes, in a clockwise direction from the north, are the Middlesex parish of St Giles in the Fields, Lincolns Inn and the Liberty of the Rolls, the City of London parishes of St Dunstan in the West and Temple, on the opposite bank of the Thames the Surrey parish of Southwark, and the Middlesex parishes of St Mary le Strand and St Martin in the Fields.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to St Clement Danes.

 

St Clement Danes, Strand

The first church on this site was reputedly founded in the 9th century by the Danes and was rebuilt at various times but the present building was erected by Sir Christopher Wren in 1682. The tower from the previous building was retained and a steeple was added in 1719. The church was badly damaged during the Blitz – the scars can still be clearly seen on the outside of the building - and not restored until 1958. It is now the central church of the RAF.

Records of the parish include baptisms (1558-1972), marriages (1558-1986), burials (1558-1890) and are at Westminster City Archives.

 

St Clement Danes