London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

St Anne Soho-part of the Ancient Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields

St Anne Soho was a parish in the Liberty of Westminster, created in 1687 from the Ancient Parish of St Martin in the Fields. The City and Liberty of Westminster was succeeded as an administrative body by the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster in 1900 and then by the London Borough of Westminster in 1965.

Surrounding St Anne Soho are the parishes of St Marylebone, St Giles in the Fields, St Martin in the Fields and St James Piccadilly (also known as St James Westminster).

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to St Anne Soho.

St Anne, Dean Street, Soho

Consecrated in 1686, the church was reached through an arch on Shaftesbury Avenue. The church suffered much damage in WW2, which left only the ‘new’ tower of 1803 standing. The present building was constructed in 1991.

Records of the parish of St Anne Soho including registers of baptisms (1686-1931); marriages (1686-1940); burials (1686-1853) and a list of Foreigners in the parish in 1711 are at Westminster City Archives.

 

St Anne Soho

 

St Luke, Berwick Street

This church was consecrated in 1839 on the site previously occupied by La Patente French Church. In 1935 the parish was amalgamated with St Anne’s and the church was demolished.

Records of the parish of St Luke, Berwick Street including registers of baptisms (1846-1935); marriages (1853-1934) are at Westminster City Archives.

St Mary the Virgin, Charing Cross Road

This church was built as a chapel of ease for St Anne’s in 1850. It was united with St Anne’s in 1932 and demolished in 1934.

Records of the parish of St Mary the Virgin, Charing Cross Road including registers of baptisms (1850-1932); marriages (1857-1932) are at Westminster City Archives.

St Peter, Great Windmill Street

This church was consecrated in 1861. In 1953 the parish was united with the combined parishes of St Anne Soho and St Thomas Regent Street and St Peter’s was closed in 1954 and demolished.

Records of the parish of St Peter, Great Windmill Street including registers of baptisms (1851-1951); banns (1865-1953); marriages (1865-1953) are at Westminster City Archives.

House of St Barnabas Chapel, Manette Street

The House of St Barnabas (also known as the House of Charity) in Greek Street has been run as a charity to help the homeless since 1862. The chapel is behind the House, in Manette Street (formerly Rose Street).

Records of the parish of the House of Barnabas Chapel including registers of baptisms (1875-1950); marriages (1963-1991); case books (1847-1981), and admissions, discharges and inmates records (1894-1940) are at Westminster City Archives.