London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

St George Hanover Square-part of the Ancient Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields

Belgravia, Hanover Square, Mayfair and Pimlico are places in the parish of St George Hanover Square, which was created in 1724 from the Ancient Parish of St Martin in the Fields in the Liberty of Westminster. The City and Liberty of Westminster was succeeded as an administrative body by the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster in 1900 and then by the London Borough of Westminster in 1965.

Surrounding it are the parishes of Paddington, St Marylebone, St James Westminster, St Martin-in-the-Fields, St Margaret Westminster, St John the Evangelist, Lambeth (Surrey), Battersea (Surrey) and Chelsea.

The Society has produced a Parish Guide to St George Hanover Square.

 

St George Hanover Square, George Street

The parish was created out of St Martin-in-the-Fields in 1712 but the church was only finished in 1725. As the surrounding area was already built up, open land to the west was acquired for burials – this is now Mount Street Gardens (behind Grosvenor Chapel), where a few gravestones can still be seen. This cemetery became full in 1763 and so 4 acres of land in Bayswater Road was acquired for parish burials. This area was sold for housing after the Second World War.

Records of the parish of Saint George Hanover Square include: baptisms (1725-1914); marriages (1725-2002), burials (1725-1874) and are at Westminster City Archives.

 

St George Hanover Square

 

All Saints, Grosvenor Road, Pimlico

All Saints church was opened in 1863 as a chapel of ease to St Gabriel, Warwick Square. Records include baptisms (1863-1940 and 1955-1967) and are at Westminster City Archives.

Belgrave Chapel, Halkin Street

This chapel was licensed in 1812 and stood on the corner of Belgrave Square. It was demolished in 1910. Records include baptisms (1898-1910) and are at Westminster City Archives.

Christ Church, Down Street, Mayfair

Christ Church was erected as a new parish church for Mayfair in 1865. It closed in the 1990s but has recently reopened to worship. Records include baptisms (1865-1984) and marriages (1916-1956) and are at Westminster City Archives.

Eaton Chapel (including Ebury Chapel)

Records include baptisms (1836-1901) and are at Westminster City Archives.

Grosvenor Chapel, South Audley Street, Mayfair

Built in 1730, this became a chapel of ease to St George Hanover Square in 1829 after its original 99-year lease ran out. Other registers are still at the church. Records include baptisms (1836-1975) and marriages (1995-2001) and are at Westminster City Archives.

 

Grosvenor Chapel

 

Hanover Chapel, Regent Street

Built about 1824, this chapel was demolished in 1897 and a new church, St Anselm’s, erected in nearby Davies Street to take its place. The records and some of the fittings of the Chapel were transferred to this new church. Records include baptisms (1874-1938) and marriages (1868-1938) and are at Westminster City Archives.

Holy Trinity, Knightsbridge

This chapel was attached to St George Hanover Square from 1725. The later registers are those from the rebuilding of the church in the 1860s but the earlier ones are rough registers. It is not clear if these entries were copied into a parent church’s register or not. Records include baptisms (1664-1752 and 1866-1903) and marriages (1658-1752 and 1866-1903) and are at Westminster City Archives.

Mayfair Chapel, Curzon Street, also called St George’s Chapel

Built in 1730, and run by Dr Keith, this chapel was used for clandestine marriages until Hardwicke’s 1753 Marriage Act prevented such unions. British History Online’s chapter on Mayfair says that there are three books detailing some 7,000 marriages at this chapel from a 20-year period amongst the registers of St George’s Hanover Square. The chapel was demolished in 1898. Records include baptisms (1740-1754) and marriages (1735-1754) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Anselm, Davies Street

This church was designed to replace the Hanover Chapel. St Anselm’s opened in 1896 and the records and some of the fittings of the Chapel were transferred to the new church. In 1938, the parish was divided between St George Hanover Square and St Mark North Audley Street and St Anselm’s was demolished. Records include baptisms (1874-1938) and marriages (1868-1938) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Barnabas, Church Street, Pimlico

This church was consecrated on St Barnabas day 1850 as a chapel of ease to St Paul, Knightsbridge and is now a Grade I listed building. Records include baptisms (1850-1969) and marriages (1866-1992) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Gabriel, Warwick Square, Pimlico

This church was one of several designed by Thomas Cundy junior, Surveyor of the Grosvenor Estates, to cope with the expanding local population in the mid-nineteenth century. The parish was taken from St George Hanover Square. Records include baptisms (1853-1986) and marriages (1905-1971) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St George’s Chapel, Albemarle Street

Records include baptisms (1888-1903) and marriages (1899-1909) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St John the Evangelist, Wilton Road, Pimlico

This was consecrated in 1874 as a chapel of ease to St Peter, Eaton Square in order to cater to the large population living around Victoria Station. It was destroyed by bombing in 1940. Records include baptisms (1874-1942) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Mark, North Audley Street, Mayfair

This church was built in the 1820s as a chapel of ease to St George Hanover Square. It was rebuilt in 1878 and is Grade I listed. The church was deconsecrated in 1974 but was refurbished and used to host private events until 2016. Records include baptisms (1835-1974), marriages (1863-1852) and burials (1828-1852) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Mary, Bourdon Street, Mayfair

St Mary’s, a chapel of ease to St George Hanover Square, was intended to be a Mission church for the local poor. It was demolished in the 1950s. Records include baptisms (1882-1939) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Michael, Chester Square, Belgrave

St Michael’s was consecrated in 1846 and is still open to worship. Records include baptisms (1846-1913) and marriages (1846-1973) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Paul, Wilton Place, Knightsbridge

This building was consecrated in 1843 and is now Grade II* listed. Records include baptisms (1843-1929) and marriages (1845-1904) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Peter, Eaton Square, Pimlico

This church was built in the 1820s but destroyed by fire in 1836. It was rebuilt in the early 1870s and is still a place of worship. Records include baptisms (1831-1965) and marriages (1844-1989) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Peter, Palace Street, Belgrave

Starting in 1770 as the Charlotte Chapel, this later becoming a proprietary chapel known as St Peter, Palace Street. The same building later became St Peter’s Chapel, Palace Street, a chapel of ease to St Peter, Eaton Square. Records include baptisms (1822-1831 and 1890-1921) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Philip, Buckingham Palace Road, Belgrave

Records include baptisms (1888-1919) and marriages (1890-1919) and are at Westminster City Archives.

St Saviour, St George’s Square, Pimlico

St Saviour’s was constructed in the early 1860s and at that time its spire was the tallest in London. It is still open for worship. Records include baptisms (1864-2007) and marriages (1864-2001) and are at Westminster City Archives.