London Westminster & Middlesex Family History Society

The Ancient Parish of St Giles-in-the-Fields

St Giles in the Fields was an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex, where it formed part of the Holborn division of the Ossulstone hundred subdivision of the county. Civil Parishes took over from Ancient Parishes in the 1860s and at this time St Giles was reunited with St George Bloomsbury (which had been taken from St Giles in 1731). In 1900 the parish became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn and in 1965 part of the London Borough of Camden.

Places in the parish include Seven Dials

It is surrounded by the Middlesex parishes of St Pancras, Holborn, Lincolns Inn, St Clement Danes, St Martin in the Fields, St Anne Soho and St Marylebone.

The Society has published a Parish Guide to St-Giles-in-the-Fields.

St Giles-in-the-Fields

St Giles-in-the-Fields originated in a leper hospital founded in 1101 by Queen Matilda. The chapel at the hospital came to serve locals as well as patients and continued to serve this parochial role even after the hospital closed in 1539. Records include baptisms (1561-1924), marriages (1561-1958) and burials (1561-1859) and are at London Metropolitan Archives.

 

 st Giles in the Fields 3

 

St Giles in the Fields

 

Christ Church Chapel of Ease, Endell Street

Christ Church, Endell Street, opened in 1845 and closed in 1929 when it was united with St Giles-in-the-Fields, Holborn. Records include baptisms (1880-1922) and are at London Metropolitan Archives.

 

Christ Church, Woburn Square, Holborn

Christ Church was built in 1831 as a chapel of ease to St George Bloomsbury. The church was demolished in 1974 and the parish united with St George. Records include baptisms (1879-1972) and marriages (1890-1972) and are at London Metropolitan Archives.

 

Holy Trinity, Kingsway

The first church of the Holy Trinity was built on Little Queen Street in Holborn in 1829-1831 as a daughter church of St Giles-in-the-Fields. It gained its own parish in 1884 but had to be demolished when the construction of the Piccadilly Line undermined its foundations. The present building was erected in 1909 opposite Holborn Underground Station. The parish absorbed that of St John Drury Lane but it also closed in 1986. Records include baptisms (1841-1985) and marriages (1884-1984) and are at London Metropolitan Archives.

 

St George, Bloomsbury

The parish of St George, Bloomsbury, was formed in the early 18th century as respectable Bloomsbury residents complained at having to pass through a slum area known to reach the parish church of St Giles-in-the-Fields. The parish has now united with St John the Evangelist, Red Lion Square. Records include baptisms (1730-1918), marriages (1731-1959) and burials (1731-1855) and are at London Metropolitan Archives.

 

 St George Bloomsbury s

 

St George Bloomsbury-interior

 

St Giles Mission Church, Sardinia Street

This church was founded in 1877 and closed in 1890. Records include baptisms (1877-1889) and are at London Metropolitan Archives.